Monday, June 12, 2017

Understanding Our Sin and Answering Our Call in Christ/The Pathway of Faith

Understanding Our Sin and Answering our Call in Christ/The Pathway of Faith
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17), therefore please read the referenced scriptures.

Romans 7:4-25; “ 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. 22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I, myself, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

This is a long passage of scripture, but the teaching here of Paul is very important to understand. For it is inspired to cause us to perform the calling of God He has placed upon us, no matter where we are in the Lord or how badly our flesh is being buffeted by the enemy of our souls. I want to make this very clear. Every human upon this planet sins and it does not matter if you are saved or not (Psalm 14:3, 53:3, Romans 3:12). So what is going on inside of the believer? Answer: there is a tug of war or constant skirmishes between two parts of our makeup when we are believers in Christ. What is being revealed is the fact that we are still attached to this “flesh” or “body of death”. You see we, in Christ, have two adversaries living within us which are the Flesh or our carnal mind and our God conscious part of our being which is the Spirit. The flesh is at total enmity against God and our God conscious spirit (Romans 8:5-10). As we walk after God and feed the spirit, which God has brought back to life through Salvation, the flesh becomes weaker because it has not been nourished. Conversely, if the flesh is what we are being fed it will become stronger and the spirit will grow weaker. Now reaching deeper into the primary scripture, Paul is saying that he does the things that he should not do and the things that he should do he does not do. I want you to really sink your God conscious spirit around the primary scripture and understand something. Paul has a terrible time doing what he is supposed to do because of the “thorn in his flesh that buffets him”, but he is still carrying out the calling God has placed upon him regardless of his circumstance (Romans 11:29) because he knows it is his responsibility to answer the call of God. Yet he has so much buffeting going on he cries out “Who shall deliver me from this body of death”. Of course the answer to that is no-one other than Jesus Christ is capable.  God wants us to fulfill His calling that He has placed upon our lives, but with “no-one doing what is right (or good)” how is this supposed to be done?  Answer: 2 Timothy 4:2 “2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.” Just as any deciduous tree we are not always going to be bearing leaves and fruit. There is a time and a season for these things. But Christ in us the hope of Glory, is fully capable to move through us even when we are out of season and do not “feel like it” or we are in the midst of a flesh and Spirit conflict. The main keys for being used of God is the following: be available, be willing, be well rooted in the word of God and this; “5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us (I John1:5-10). What John is saying about walking in darkness is this: we are sinners and the darkness is the fact that we are hiding our sin(s) from God. Whereas, if we walk in the light and reveal our sins unto God, He is faithful to cleanse us of our sin(s), then our works are wrought in God when we bring our sins before the Lord because darkness (or sin) cannot exist in the light because it is now exposed so all may see that it is sin (darkness). “19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God (John 3:19-21).” As Paul stated in the primary scripture above, it is the law that makes sin evident and is our schoolmaster to teach us what to do or not do. Are we capable of keeping the law? Absolutely not! That is why God sent His Son down to earth and brought about redemption whereby we would no longer be under the law of sin and death, but under love forgiveness and grace (John 3:16).

No one upon this earth who has given their hearts to Jesus Christ is perfect. No one is exempt from sin, even those who have given their hearts to Christ, as we are still attached to this “body of death” until the flesh physically dies and the sin nature is then shed from our being. God expects us to heed the call He has placed upon our lives in season or out of season. Our calling is not based upon how we feel or what we think at any given moment, but is based upon what God has called us to do, when He wants us to do it, and where He wants us to do it. Our calling is not based upon our earthly abilities and talents (although they can be a part of how God will use us), but is based upon His Son Jesus who lives in our hearts, the gifting of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:1-11), the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and the fact that it is God’s responsibility to give us the “tools of His trade” (The gifts and fruit of the Holy Spirit), not ours. We are to stir up the gifts He has given us in the body of Christ (2 Timothy 1:6) and couple that with the fruit of the Spirit, especially love, being led (not driven) by the Lord according to His will and timing.

When we share according to God’s will it does not matter what kind of battles are waging war within our makeup, what matters is that we do not hide our sins from God and confess them to Him. This confession, forgiveness, and cleansing causes a restorative action from God whereby we have the blessing of God to carry on in the calling in which we are called. This is true communion with God: being honest and humble before Him, realizing that we will always be attached to this body of death, but not allowing our sin nature to interfere or detract from our calling and saying Yes Lord, I am all yours. Then the Lord takes our can of worms away and feeds us with the finest manna he has, His Son Jesus Christ the true bread of life that came down from heaven.


Sam Kofsky-a friend of Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.